Musical Review: Flashdance The Musical - DeMontfort Hall, Leicester [Emz]

Wednesday 11 April 2018


So at the end of March, I went to see this show at DeMontfort Hall in my hometown of Leicester.

The show stars Joanne Clifton (Strictly Come Dancing, Thoroughly Modern Millie) as Alex Owens and  Ben Adams (A1, Eugenius! The Musical) as Nick Hurley.

Obviously, I was more familiar with the 2 actors playing the lead roles but I didn't know any of the others.

I believe this version of the show was based more on the book than the 1983 film.

Here is a brief idea of the story from the website:
Dance like you’ve never danced before! FLASHDANCE-THE MUSICAL tells the inspiring and unforgettable story of 18 year old Alex, a welder by day and ‘flashdancer’ by night, who dreams of going to the prestigious Shipley Dance Academy and becoming a professional dancer. When a romance complicates her ambitions, she harnesses it to drive her dream.
Based on the Paramount Pictures film (Screenplay by Tom Hedley and Joe Eszterhas, story by Tom Hedley) Flashdance is an inspiring musical about the power of holding onto your dreams and love against all the odds.
Prepare to be blown away with an astonishing musical spectacle and phenomenal choreography to this iconic score including the smash hit Maniac, Manhunt, Gloria, I Love Rock & Roll and the sensational title track Flashdance - What a Feeling.
Produced by the award winning team at Selladoor Productions - producers of Footloose, Avenue Q and Little Shop of Horrors, FLASHDANCE-THE MUSICAL is not to be missed!

Review:

I extremely enjoyed this show. At times it did feel like the story was moving a little too quickly but with the time they had for the show, it didn't really cause any problems. 

The singing was excellent and so was the dancing. IT was clear that so much was put into the routines. Along wit Jonanne riding a bike across the stage, I would be terrified I was going to fall off stage (knowing me I would)

Joanne Clifton as Alex Owens was fantastic and her American accent for the Character was really good, I wouldn't have noticed she was English if I didn't know. All the dancing she has to do is really good, it's quite different from what I am used to seeing her do on Strictly as this is a bit more Pop, but it flowed so well,, she is a brilliant singer as well. I look forward to seeing her in more productions in the future (fingers crossed)

Ben Adams was also brilliant as Nick Hurley, I have always been a fan of A1. I found out a lot later after I bought the tickets that he was playing the other lead role of Nick. the last time I saw Ben live was when he opened for Steps at DeMontfort Hall in 1997/8? with A1 (I was about 7 years old! blimey!)

Ben was really good at acting, I knew he could sing but the chemistry with Joanne was very strong. I hope to see his show Eugenius! at the West end eventually.

The rest of the cast were also just as good, the actress playing Hannah, was really good as was kind of a mother figure to Alex's character along with the character Louise who was Hannah's carer.

It was great to hear the familiar songs Maniac and What a Feeling.

If I had the chance I would happily see it again. If it comes to a town near you I would recommend it.

Till next time

Emz x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP